Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Exp 2: Erika Kruger - Black Box

An aspect of Erika Kruger's work that I found particularly interesting was the concept of the shadow as threshold. The idea that there is a space, in shadow, that "negates the difference between front and back...bodies and intervening space ('empty space')" is something which I would like to further focus on in the meeting area of my design. Having two distinct spaces that each transform into a common area, is something which I imagine may emphasise a sense of the unknown and mystery, “obscuring what is to come and what has been”. While this idea currently isn’t linked that closely to my model, I’m interested in applying certain aspects of it to my design, particularly in the areas between each laboratory and the meeting space.

(Source: "The Black Box: The Concealed Room", Erika Kruger (2004), Submission for Degree of Master of Design)

No comments:

Post a Comment